Saturday, May 31, 2008

Eclectic vs. Eccentric

Eclectic
1Pronunciation: \e-ˈklek-tik, i-\
2: [noun] composed of elements drawn from various sources.

Eccentric
Main Entry: 1ec·cen·tric
Pronunciation: \ik-ˈsen-trik, ek-\
1: [adjective] deviating from an established or usual pattern or style b: deviating from conventional or accepted usage or conduct especially in odd or whimsical ways.

I've been called both of these, and I'm not so sure I knew, or those casting the label knew, the definitions of each. So today I decided to look them up. I was surprised by the first one, not the second. But then I did some further research... and Google Images had this image to offer in the way of describing Eccentric. I am fairly certain I have NEVER worn a swan around my neck. Being a 70's child or not, I'm sure I would remember that! Now, this one I don't have as much of a problem with, altho I can't wear shoes that high, or skirts that short... but I don't mind how she's dressed at all.

On the Eclectic side, Google found these bracelets to fit the bill (I like them!) and this wine rack is nothing short of COOL!! ...but if THIS is deemed eclectic, then I'm afraid eclectic has lost it's meaning. This is about as vanilla as furniture comes! (unless they only mean the hanging lamp) and Kristin, I hate to have to say it, but your interiors are about as eclectic as my cat.

LET'S HEAR FROM SOME OF YOU. What do YOU deem as eclectic, or eccentric?

No comments: