Sunday, August 03, 2008

Quilting Direction



I have been quilting for a few years now, actually longer if you count the quilt I made when my daughter was 2 years old, and i guess we really should count it, after all, it is a quilt, it's just that it's not made by today's rules... it's got alot of polyester in it... but then, that was the fabric of choice in the 70's.

Since cotton has come into our world, all the rules have changed. I only made the one (well 2) quilts back then, after which I switched to sewing clothes for my baby girl and then after a while, being a working mom, that dwindled as well. Lately, however, I have found my interest perking back up. I'm actually going on my 3rd year now of immersing myself with 'real quilters', and embarking on quilting projects, to learn the current day rules of quilting. You know, how to make your points pointy, and your mitered bindings accurate, etc. Except what I'm finding out now, is that the 'rules' only apply if you want (or need) them to. Think about it... in the 70's it was perfectly acceptable to make a quilt with polyester! Now it's not? I guess it all depends on how artful you want to take it. And I'm finding that since I'm not the most traditional of people, I don't necessarily want my quilts to be either. I can't even imagine cutting our 800 triangles for some pattern, or even 100 of anything. WOW, I'd lose interest WAY before I was done cutting those, not to mention then sewing them back together??? Yikes!

I don't mind making semi-traditional quilts for my grand-daughters, but I suspect even those will give way to the more un-conventional style soon. Ya, I think of myself as more the artful quilter. This has been coming on for over a year, I've just wondering how to get started. I think I found a clue this past weekend. I attended the Quilt Show in Long Beach, CA and found some VERY intriguing ideas.

Here's my first piece and I can't WAIT to post some more for you to see! And at the same time I'll be redoing my website to showcase and maybe even sell these new pieces. I hope you pop on over and come back to see how it's going! See ya later.

No comments: